HYPER LONGEVITY™ Promoting Healthy and Beautiful Skin
OLIVE FRUIT EXTRACT (OleaSelect®)
Since antiquity, the diet of the people surrounding the Mediterranean has been known for its health and longevity. Olives, an integral delicacy on the Mediterranean menu, have special active components (polyphenols) which are the basis for much of the anti-aging effects: The two most important polyphenols include: Hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol and verbascoside. HYPER LONGEVITY™ uses a patented olive pulp extract from Italian olives, which has an exceedingly high level of polyphenols (greater than 30%). These polyphenols have significant biological effects on skin and aging, as documented in research literature.
o Anti-Aging: powerful skin protection
- OXIDATIVE STRESS PROTECTION
Free radicals are formed in the body from many sources, including exposure to UV radiation. Highly reactive and destructive to tissue, free radicals increase the level of oxidative stress in the body, and prematurely age the body. Premature aging of the skin because of UV radiation is due to free radicals damaging the skin. Verbascoside is a very powerful antioxidant, and can neutralize free radicals in the body including those caused by UV radiation. Especially important in safeguarding against UV damage is preventing lipid oxidation of the cellular membrane.(1) Further, verbascoside has been shown to interefere with the UV signalling in skin cells, thereby modulating the response of skin cells to UV radiation. Authors of the study conclude that this interference could make a significant impact on skin cancer chemoprevention. (13)
- FAST REPAIR OF DNA
Verbascoside possesses the ability of rapidly repairing DNA which is damaged by UV radiation or from other sources of free radicals. Repairing damaged DNA is extremely important for maintaining health and longevity.(3)
o Keeping the Skin Beautiful:
- SKIN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Verbascoside has the unique ability to suppress inflammatory responses in the skin, by inhibiting the binding and subsequent activation of inflammatory gene factors.(2) Further anti-inflammatory response by verbascoside is mediated by the activation of PPAR-alpha.(9) PPAR-alpha helps maintain homeostasis of the skin, including reduction of skin inflammation and stimulating epidermal lipid synthesis. Increased epidermal lipid synthesis improves the skin permeability barrier. (10) In a study using human keratinocytes (skin cells), verbascoside was shown to have "corticosteroid-like inhibition of pro-inflammatory chemokines at transcriptional and translational levels". (12) Verbascoside also possesses a unique anti-inflammatory property by inhibiting HMGB1 - a powerful protein which is responsible for extreme levels of inflammation and sepsis.(14)
- ACCELERATES TISSUE REPAIR AND WOUND HEALING OF SKIN.
Verbascoside exhibited potent anti-inflammatory and accelerated wound-healing properties. Confirmation of the wound healing involved using full thickness excision wound, in vivo. (2)
• Hydroxytyrosol and Tyrosol
o Anti-Aging Gene Activator | Healthy Skin Anti-Aging
- HYDROXYTYROSOL | INDUCTION OF LONGEVITY PROTEINS
An anti-aging gene activator of SIRT1, SIRT3 and SIRT4 hydroxytyrosol stimulates the production of longevity proteins from resulting gene expression. Results of the longevity proteins are changes in metabolism affecting the skin and body.(4)
- TYROSOL | LIFESPAN EXTENSION
Tyrosol has shown potent anti-aging effects in c. elegans (worm) longevity research. Research using tyrosol resulted in significant increases in lifespan, corresponding to increased levels of resistance to oxidative stress and delay in the appearance of a major aging biomarker.(11)
- HYDROXYTYROSOL | SKIN ANTI-AGING - PROMOTING HEALTHY SKIN MAINTENANCE
Stabilizes cell membrane of skin, reducing oxidative stress, and inflammation promoting longevity of the skin cells. High levels of oxidative stress and inflammation (5,6) cause premature senescence (cellular death). Conditions promoting premature senescense of skin cells also reduce the number of skin cells necessary for healthy skin maintenance and age the skin.
o Attenuates Skin Cell Damage Due to Ultraviolet Radiation | Anti-Inflammatory
- HYDROXYTYROSOL AND UV DAMAGE
The DNA in cells is very sensitive to ultraviolet radiation, which can damage the DNA and cause premature cellular senescence. UVA and UVB radiation causes skin damage via stimulation of oxidative radicals, and reductions of endogenous cellular antioxidants. Hydroxytyrosol protects the cell against increased levels of radiation induced oxidative stress.(7.8) Coincidentally, hydroxytyrsol shares this anti-aging feature with the other major group of polyphenols verbascosides.
- SKIN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Furthermore, as an anti-Inflammatory, hydroxytyrosol and tyrosol suppresses induction of inflammatory substances, including TNF-alpha, which is involved in chronic inflammatory conditions.(6)
NEXT: Skin Anti-Aging <Tetrahydrocurcumin>
(1) Kostvuk V, et al. Plant polyphenols against UV-C-induced cellular death Planta Med. 2008 Apr;74(5):509-14.
(2) Pastore S, et al. Plant Polyphenols Regulate Chemokine Expression and Tissue Repair in Human Keratinocytes Through Interaction with Cytoplasmic and Nuclear Components of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor System. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2012 Feb 15;16(4):314-28.
(3) Rongliang Z., et al. Fast repair of DNA radicals in the earliest stage of carcinogenesis suppresses hallmarks of cancer. RSC Advances. 18 Oct 2011.
(4) Mukherjee S, et al. Expression of the longevity proteins by both red and white wines and their cardioprotective components, resveratrol, tyrosol, and hydroxytyrosol. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Mar 1;46(5):573-8.
(5) Zhang X, et al. Hydroxytyrosol inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokines, iNOS, and COX-2 expression in human monocytic cells. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2009 Jun;379(6):581-6.
(6) Kawaguchi K, et al. Effects of antioxidant polyphenols on TNF-alpha-related diseases. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011;11(14):1767-79.
(7) D'Angelo S, et al. Hydroxytyrosol, a natural antioxidant from olive oil, prevents protein damage induced by long-wave ultraviolet radiation in melanoma cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005 Apr 1;38(7):908-19.
(8) Guo W, et al. The protective effects of hydroxytyrosol against UVB-induced DNA damage in HaCaT cells. Phytother Res. 2010 Mar;24(3):352-9.
(9) Esposito E, et al. PPAR-alpha Contributes to the Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Verbascoside in a Model of Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Mice. PPAR Res. 2010;2010:917312.
(10) Michalik L, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) in skin health, repair and disease. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007 Aug;1771(8):991-8.
(11) Cañuelo A, et al. Tyrosol, a main phenol present in extra virgin olive oil, increases lifespan and stress resistance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mech Ageing Dev. 2012 Jul 21.
(12) Georgiev M, et al. Verbascum xanthophoeniceum-derived phenylethanoid glycosides are potent inhibitors of inflammatory chemokines in dormant and interferon-gamma-stimulated human keratinocytes. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012 Oct 29.
(13) Kostyuk VA, et al. Modulation of Human Keratinocyte Responses to Solar UV by Plant Polyphenols as a Basis for Chemoprevention of Non-Melanoma Skin Cancers. Curr Med Chem. 2012 Dec 3.
(14) Seo ES, et al. Acteoside improves survival in cecal ligation and puncture-induced septic mice via blocking of high mobility group box 1 release. Mol Cells. 2013 Apr;35(4):348-54.