For years, it has been known that resveratrol is one of the most effective anti-aging compounds studied. Beneficial effects on lifespan have been demonstrated across many research organisms, including worms and flies. In 2003, resveratrol was identified as a molecule which could activate SIRT1, mimicking the life extending benefits shown by calorie restriction. Furthermore, resveratrol also activates the anti-aging Nrf2 pathway, and AMPK which enhances NAD+ availability. (1) Cellular NAD+ levels are linked to longevity.
In a new study, the silkworm was used to further illustrate the life extending effects of resveratrol via significant improvement of antioxidant activity.. Oxidation is a key factor is anti-aging and shortening of the lifespan.(2)
Resveratrol was shown to activate antioxidant function in the silkworm via increased activity of the GST enzyme, key in the antioxidant enzyme system.
RESVERATROL ACTIVATES the GST Antioxidant System via
This research further validates the beneficial life extending benefits of resveratrol.
(1) Li Z, et al. Aging and age‐related diseases: from mechanisms to therapeutic strategies. Biogerontology. 2021 Jan
(2) Song J, et al. Resveratrol elongates the lifespan and improves antioxidant activity in the silkworm Bombyx mori. J Pharm Anal. 2021 Jun
Boosting longevity is a function of many different attributes. Key among these are activating longevity genes (SIRT1 and FOXO) and decreasing levels of oxidative stress.
ACTIVATING LONGEVITY GENES -
BILBERRY ANTHOCYANINS (Blue Color)
GRAPE SEED EXTRACT (GSE) (5-8)
N-ACETYLCYSTEINE (GLUTATHIONE BOOSTER) (9-11)
(1) Li Y, et al. Effect of resveratrol and pterostilbene on aging and longevity. Biofactors. 2018 Jan.
(2) Scerbak C, et al. Lowbush cranberry acts through DAF-16/FOXO signaling to promote increased lifespan and axon branching in aging posterior touch receptor neurons. Geroscience. 2018 Apr.
(3) Ryyti R, et al. Beneficial effects of lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.) supplementation on metabolic and inflammatory adverse effects induced by high-fat diet in a mouse model of obesity. PLoS One. 2020 May.
(4) Li J, et al. Reduction of Aging-Induced Oxidative Stress and Activation of Autophagy by Bilberry Anthocyanin Supplementation via the AMPK-mTOR Signaling Pathway in Aged Female Rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2019 Jul.
(5) Mas-Capdevila A, et al. Changes in arterial blood pressure caused by long-term administration of grape seed proanthocyanidins in rats with established hypertension. Food Funct. 2020 Oct.
(6) Ruan Y, et al. Grape Seed Proanthocyanidin Extract Ameliorates Cardiac Remodelling After Myocardial Infarction Through PI3K/AKT Pathway in Mice. Front Pharmacol. 2020 Dec.
(7) Kadri S, et al. Protective effect of grape seed extract and orlistat co-treatment against stroke: Effect on oxidative stress and energy failure. Biomed Pharmacother. 2021 Apr.
(8) Kijima K, et al. Grape seed extract is an aromatase inhibitor and a suppressor of aromatase expression. Cancer Res. 2006 Jun.
(9) Niraula P, et al. N-Acetylcysteine extends lifespan of Drosophila via modulating ROS scavenger gene expression. Biogerontology. 2019 Aug.
(10) McCarty M, et al. Perspective: Prospects for Nutraceutical Support of Intestinal Barrier Function. Adv Nutr. 2021 Mar.
(11) DiNicolantonio J, et al. Supplemental N-acetylcysteine and other measures that boost intracellular glutathione can downregulate interleukin-1β signalling: a potential strategy for preventing cardiovascular events? Open Heart. 2017 Jul.
In the field of anti-aging, the flavonoid fisetin is emerging as a potent longevity compound. Fisetin affects the aging process in experimental animals through multiple pathways, including senolytics (removing senescent cells)m SIRT1 activation, calorie restriction mimic and homeostasis.
Senolytics- the rejuvenation of the cellular environment, by eliminating senescent cells. Aging is characterized by the accumulation of senescent cells. These are cells which are irreversibly unable to grow and function and are resistant to normal cellular clearance. Senescent cells not only interfere with normal tissue functioning, but may also be toxic to neighboring cells. Fisetin, has been shown to be a potent senolytic, with the ability to eliminate senescent cells. (1)
REDOX HOMEOSTASIS / IONIC HOMEOSTASIS
SIRTUIN ACTIVATION (SIRT1)
PLURIPOTENT STEM CELLS (Induction)
PROTEOSTASIS - ABNORMAL PROTEIN ACCUMULATION / AUTOPHAGY
(1) Glossmann HH, et al, Metformin and Aging: A Review. Gerontology. 2019. Sept.
(2) Kirkland JL, et al. Cellular Scenescence. A Translational Perspective. EBioMedicine, 2017
(3) van Deursen JM. The role of Scenescent Cells in Ageing. Nature 2014.
(4) Yousefzadeh MJ, et al. Fisetin is a senotherapeutic that extends health and lifespan. EBioMedicine, 2018
(5) Singh S, et al. Fisetin, a potential calorie restriction mimetic, attenuates senescence biomarkers in rat erythrocytes. Biochem Cell Biol. 2019 Aug
(6) Singh S, et al. Fisetin, a potential calorie restriction mimetic,modulates ionic homeostasis in senescence induced and naturally aged rats. Biochem Cell Biol. 2019 Sept.
(7) Shin-Hae Lee, et al. Sirtuin signaling in cellular senescence and aging. BMB Rep. 2019 Jan
(8) Chen T, et al. Rapamycin and other longevity-promoting compounds enhance the generation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells. Aging Cell. 2011.
(9) Bai, et al. Small Molecules as SIRT Modulators. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2018.
(10) Zhang H, et al. Nrf2⁻ARE Signaling Acts as Master Pathway for the Cellular Antioxidant Activity of Fisetin. Molecules. 2019 Feb.
(10) Zheng W, et al. Fisetin inhibits IL-1β-induced inflammatory response in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes through activating SIRT1 and attenuates the progression of osteoarthritis in mice. Int Immunopharmacol. 2017 Apr
(11) Simunkova M, et al. Management of oxidative stress and other pathologies in Alzheimer's disease. Arch Toxicol. 2019 Aug
(12) Sunhyo K, et al. Fisetin stimulates autophagic degradation of phosphorylated tau via the activation of TFEB and Nrf2 transcription factors Sci Rep. 2016.
Resveratrol has long been known as an natural anti-aging gene activator. The target of this activation is SIRT1. Research now indicates that another extract (ursolic acid) is even more powerful than resveratrol in the activation SIRT1. Furthermore, the extracts ursolic acid and rosmarinic acid promote anti-aging in other ways,, including preservation of the functioning of the hypothalamus (implicated as playing a significant role in the aging process), inhibiting fibrosis (amyloid and tau) and inhibiting NOX2 and NOX4.
(1) Bakhtian N, et al. Mounting evidence validates Ursolic Acid directly activates SIRT1: A powerful STAC which mimic endogenous activator of SIRT1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2018 Jul
(2) Kim K, et al. Role of hypothalamus in aging and its underlying cellular mechanisms. Mech. Ageing Dev. 2018. May.
(3) Bahrami SA, et al Ursolic acid regulates aging process through enhancing of metabolic sensor proteins level. Biomed Pharmacother, 2016 Aug
(4) Kamble SM, et al. In silico Evidence for Binding of Pentacyclic Triterpenoids to Keap1-Nrf2 Protein-Protein Binding Site. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2017
(5) Wang F, et al. The Molecular Mechanism of Rosmarinic Acid Extending the Lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans. Applied Mechanics and Materilals. 2011.
(6) Forte M, et al. The Pathophysiological Role of NOX2 in Hypertension and Organ Damage. High Blood Press. Cardiovasc Prev. 2016 Dec
(7) Revoltella S, et al. Identification of the NADPH Oxidase 4 Inhibiting Principle of Lycopus europaeus. Molecules. 2018 Mar.
(8) Ramazzotti M, et al, Mechanism for the inhibition of amyloid aggregation by small ligands.Biosci Rep. 2016 Sept.
(9) Shan Y, et al. Aging as a Precipitating Factor in Chronic Restraint Stress-Induced Tau Aggregation Pathology, and the Protective Effects of Rosmarinic Acid. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016
(10) Yui S, et al. Beneficial Effects of Lemon Balm Leaf Extract on In Vitro Glycation of Proteins, Arterial Stiffness, and Skin Elasticity in Healthy Adults. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 2017
(11) Jayanthy G, et al, Rosmarinic Acid Mediates Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Insulin Resistant Skeletal Muscle Through Activation of AMPK. J Cell Biochem. 2017 Jul
The unique flavonoids in citrus bergamia (Bergamonte®) have been previously shown to have potent cardioprotective properties including effective cholesterol support. Further research indicates that citrus bergamia flavonoids have additional beneficial properties which affect disease progression and longevity.(1)
Bergamonte® is a registered trademark of HP Ingredients.
(1) HP Ingredients October 2016.
(2) Salminen A, et al. Age-related changes in AMPK activation: Role for AMPK phosphatases and inhibitory phosphorylation by upstream signaling pathways. Ageing Res Rev. 2016 Jul;