Boosting longevity is a function of many different attributes. Key among these are activating longevity genes (SIRT1 and FOXO) and decreasing levels of oxidative stress.
ACTIVATING LONGEVITY GENES -
BILBERRY ANTHOCYANINS (Blue Color)
GRAPE SEED EXTRACT (GSE) (5-8)
N-ACETYLCYSTEINE (GLUTATHIONE BOOSTER) (9-11)
(1) Li Y, et al. Effect of resveratrol and pterostilbene on aging and longevity. Biofactors. 2018 Jan.
(2) Scerbak C, et al. Lowbush cranberry acts through DAF-16/FOXO signaling to promote increased lifespan and axon branching in aging posterior touch receptor neurons. Geroscience. 2018 Apr.
(3) Ryyti R, et al. Beneficial effects of lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.) supplementation on metabolic and inflammatory adverse effects induced by high-fat diet in a mouse model of obesity. PLoS One. 2020 May.
(4) Li J, et al. Reduction of Aging-Induced Oxidative Stress and Activation of Autophagy by Bilberry Anthocyanin Supplementation via the AMPK-mTOR Signaling Pathway in Aged Female Rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2019 Jul.
(5) Mas-Capdevila A, et al. Changes in arterial blood pressure caused by long-term administration of grape seed proanthocyanidins in rats with established hypertension. Food Funct. 2020 Oct.
(6) Ruan Y, et al. Grape Seed Proanthocyanidin Extract Ameliorates Cardiac Remodelling After Myocardial Infarction Through PI3K/AKT Pathway in Mice. Front Pharmacol. 2020 Dec.
(7) Kadri S, et al. Protective effect of grape seed extract and orlistat co-treatment against stroke: Effect on oxidative stress and energy failure. Biomed Pharmacother. 2021 Apr.
(8) Kijima K, et al. Grape seed extract is an aromatase inhibitor and a suppressor of aromatase expression. Cancer Res. 2006 Jun.
(9) Niraula P, et al. N-Acetylcysteine extends lifespan of Drosophila via modulating ROS scavenger gene expression. Biogerontology. 2019 Aug.
(10) McCarty M, et al. Perspective: Prospects for Nutraceutical Support of Intestinal Barrier Function. Adv Nutr. 2021 Mar.
(11) DiNicolantonio J, et al. Supplemental N-acetylcysteine and other measures that boost intracellular glutathione can downregulate interleukin-1β signalling: a potential strategy for preventing cardiovascular events? Open Heart. 2017 Jul.
It has been well studied that the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin play an important role in preserving eye function by directly acting as antioxidants. However, new research indicates that these powerhouses go one important step further. This is through the activation the Nfr2 antioxidant defense network.
Nrf2 is a latent protein in the cell, that when activated, becomes a powerful transcription factor that turn on the Antioxidant Response Element (ARE). ARE is the master antioxidant switch in the cell and provides overwhelming antioxidant response, including increased levels of the potent cellular protector glutathione.
LUTEIN ZEAXANTHIN and MESO ZEAXANTHIN act as both direct antioxidants and as Nrf2 activators. Significantly, this makes their protection capacity for the retina significantly greater than only acting as an antioxidant. Implications of this include more capacity to slow the aging of the eye and preserve vision with aging.
NRF2 CELLULAR PROTECTION:
(1) Frede K, et al. Lutein Activates the Transcription Factor Nrf2 in Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2017 Jun 30
(2) Liu H, et al. Protective effect of lutein on ARPE-19 cells upon H2O2-induced G2/M arrest. Mol Med Rep. 2017 Jun 21.
(3) Lima VC, et al. Macular pigment in retinal health and disease. Int J Retina Vitreous. 2016 Aug
(4) Orhan C, et al. Mesozeaxanthin Protects Retina from Oxidative Stress in a Rat Model. Ocul Pharmocol Ther, 2016 Nov
(5) Firdous AP. et al. Anti-inflammatory potential of carotenoid meso-zeaxanthin and its mode of action. Pharm Biol. 2015 Jul;53(7):961-7.
(6) Zou X, et al. Zeaxanthin induces Nrf2-mediated phase II enzymes in protection of cell death. Cell Death Dis, 2014 May