The unique flavonoids in citrus bergamia (Bergamonte®) have been previously shown to have potent cardioprotective properties including effective cholesterol support. Further research indicates that citrus bergamia flavonoids have additional beneficial properties which affect disease progression and longevity.(1)
Bergamonte® is a registered trademark of HP Ingredients.
(1) HP Ingredients October 2016.
(2) Salminen A, et al. Age-related changes in AMPK activation: Role for AMPK phosphatases and inhibitory phosphorylation by upstream signaling pathways. Ageing Res Rev. 2016 Jul;
Arteries degenerate with age, via a process known as vascular remodeling, leading to atherosclerosis, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases.. Therefore, preserving youthful arteries is a very important factor in longevity. Two important supplements which have been shown to suppress degenerative changes to the arteries are vinpocetine and citrus bergamot polyphenols.
VASCULAR AGING - Involves changes to the vascular endothelium and smooth muscle which promotes increased hypertension and stiffness of the arteries. The results is an aged vascular system which is characterized by inflammation and atherosclerosis. As such, the arteries lose their ability to expand and contract, and becomes stiff, thickened and inflamed. When the vascular system ages it becomes more susceptible to hypertension, ischemic stroke and coronary heart blockage (heart attack). Furthermore, vascular aging in the brain may lead to cognitive disorders due to diminished blood flow.
Key areas of Vascular Aging:
Promotes youthful arteries via two mechanisms. Vinpocetine reduces the release of inflammatory cytokines from endothelial cells and vascular smooth muscle by targeting oxidative stress and inflammation of the arteries. NF-kB. Also, vinpocetine is a powerful inhibitor of PDE1.
CITRUS BERGAMOT (Bergamonte®) - The polyphenols in Citrus Bergamot uniquely provide artery anti-aging benefits. Citrus Bergamot provides protection directly to the vascular endothelium, in addition to optimizing cholesterol and triglycerides and inhibiting non alcoholic liver disease.
(1) Chan S, et al. PDE1 isozymes, key regulators of pathological vascular remodeling. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2011 Dec
(2) Bautista N, et al. Phosphodiesterase 1 regulation is a key mechanism in vascular aging. Clin Sci (Lond) 2015 Dec
(3) Zhuang J, et al. Inhibitory effects of vinpocetine on the progression of atherosclerosis are mediated by Akt/NF-κB dependent mechanisms in apoE-/- mice. PLoS One. 2013 Dec.
(4) Yan, C. Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 1 and vascular aging. Clin Sci (Lond). 2015 Dec.
(5) Chen M, et al. LOX-1, the receptor for oxidized low-density lipoprotein identified from endothelial cells: implications in endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis. Pharmacol Ther. 2002 Jul
(6) HP Ingredients. Support against NAFLD in those with Metabolic Syndrome. 2016 Apr.
(7) HP Ingredients. 2016.
What is the most precise predictive measure of cardiovascular disease (and diabetes)? Common dogma continues to hold LDL ("bad" cholesterol) as the most accurate measure. However, recent studies research indicate a much stronger correlation between high triglyceride-to-HDL ratios in predicting both cardiovascular disease and the development of diabetes. In a study by the American Heart Association, individuals with the highest triglyceride-HDL ratios were 16x's more likely to suffer a cardiovascular event (i.e. heart attack) as compared to individuals with the lowest triglyceride-HDL ratios. The triglyceride-to-HDL ratio is significantly stronger in predicting cardiovascular events than "high cholesterol" numbers or LDL-to-HDL ratios.(1)
HIGH TRIGLYCERIDES - the dangerous effect of high levels of triglycerides on the cardiovascular system is multi-faceted. Negative effects of high triglyceride levels:
CITRUS BERGAMOT (Bergamonte®) POLYPHENOLS
Bergamote® (an extract from Bergamot citrus in Italy), is called by some advocates as the ideal natural cardiovascular support supplement. Bergamonte decreases the triglyceride-to-HDL ratio by both decreasing plasma triglycerides and increasing HDL.(3)
Bergamonte® is a registered trademark of HP Ingredients
(1) Turak O, et al. The Role of Plasma Triglyceride/High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Ratio to Predict New Cardiovascular Events in Essential Hypertensive Patients.Journal of Clinical Hypertension. Jan 2016.
(2) Bertsch RA, et al. Study of the use of lipid panels as a Marker of Insulin Resistance to Determine Cardiovascular Risk. Perm J. 2015 Fall.
(3) HP Ingredients Research. 2016
(4) Proshkina EN, et al. Basic mechanisms of longevity: A case study of Drosophila pro-longevity genes. Ageing Res. Rev. 2015 Nov;
(5) Daskaopoulos EP, et al. AMPK in cardiac fibrosis and repair. Actions beyond metabolic regulation. J Mol. Cell Cardiol. 2016 Jan.
(6) Parafati M, et al. Bergamot polyphenol fraction prevents nonalcoholic fatty liver disease via stimulation of lipophagy in cafeteria diet-induced rat model of metabolic syndrome. J Nutr Biochem. 2015 Sept.
(7) Zang M, et al. Polyphenols stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase, lower lipids, and inhibit accelerated atherosclerosis in diabetic LDL receptor-deficient mice. Diabetes. 2006 Aug.