Boosting longevity is a function of many different attributes. Key among these are activating longevity genes (SIRT1 and FOXO) and decreasing levels of oxidative stress.
ACTIVATING LONGEVITY GENES -
BILBERRY ANTHOCYANINS (Blue Color)
GRAPE SEED EXTRACT (GSE) (5-8)
N-ACETYLCYSTEINE (GLUTATHIONE BOOSTER) (9-11)
(1) Li Y, et al. Effect of resveratrol and pterostilbene on aging and longevity. Biofactors. 2018 Jan.
(2) Scerbak C, et al. Lowbush cranberry acts through DAF-16/FOXO signaling to promote increased lifespan and axon branching in aging posterior touch receptor neurons. Geroscience. 2018 Apr.
(3) Ryyti R, et al. Beneficial effects of lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea L.) supplementation on metabolic and inflammatory adverse effects induced by high-fat diet in a mouse model of obesity. PLoS One. 2020 May.
(4) Li J, et al. Reduction of Aging-Induced Oxidative Stress and Activation of Autophagy by Bilberry Anthocyanin Supplementation via the AMPK-mTOR Signaling Pathway in Aged Female Rats. J Agric Food Chem. 2019 Jul.
(5) Mas-Capdevila A, et al. Changes in arterial blood pressure caused by long-term administration of grape seed proanthocyanidins in rats with established hypertension. Food Funct. 2020 Oct.
(6) Ruan Y, et al. Grape Seed Proanthocyanidin Extract Ameliorates Cardiac Remodelling After Myocardial Infarction Through PI3K/AKT Pathway in Mice. Front Pharmacol. 2020 Dec.
(7) Kadri S, et al. Protective effect of grape seed extract and orlistat co-treatment against stroke: Effect on oxidative stress and energy failure. Biomed Pharmacother. 2021 Apr.
(8) Kijima K, et al. Grape seed extract is an aromatase inhibitor and a suppressor of aromatase expression. Cancer Res. 2006 Jun.
(9) Niraula P, et al. N-Acetylcysteine extends lifespan of Drosophila via modulating ROS scavenger gene expression. Biogerontology. 2019 Aug.
(10) McCarty M, et al. Perspective: Prospects for Nutraceutical Support of Intestinal Barrier Function. Adv Nutr. 2021 Mar.
(11) DiNicolantonio J, et al. Supplemental N-acetylcysteine and other measures that boost intracellular glutathione can downregulate interleukin-1β signalling: a potential strategy for preventing cardiovascular events? Open Heart. 2017 Jul.
MITOPHAGY AND LONGEVITY
NRF2 - THE ROLE IN MITOPHAGY AND LONGEVITY Nrf2 is a latent protein in the cell, which upon activation, regulates the activation of genes which produce antioxidant proteins for cellular protection, reduction of inflammation and reduction of mitochondrial toxins (via glutathione induction).
(1) Palikaras K, et al. Mitophagy: In sickness and in health. Mol Cell Oncol. 2015 Jun.
(2) Palikaras K, et al. Coupling mitogenesis and mitophagy for longevity. Autophagy. 2015.
(3) LaPierre L, et al. Transcriptional and epigenetic regulation of autophagy in aging. Autophagy. 2015 Jun
(4) Greco T, et al. Sulforaphane Inhibits Mitochondrial Permeability Transition and Oxidative Stress. Free Radic Biol Med, 2012 Dec
(5) Holstrom Kira, et al. The multifaceted role of Nrf2 in mitochondrial function. Curr Opin Toxicol. 2016 Dec
(6) Wang K, et al. Redox homeostasis: the linchpin in stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Cell Death Dis. 2013 Mar
(7) Russo M, et al. Nrf2 targeting by sulforaphane: a potential therapy for cancer treatment. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2016 Dec
(8) O'Mealey GB, et al. Sulforaphane is a Nrf2-independent inhibitor of mitochondrial fission. Redox Biol. 2016 Nov