Carnosic acid, an extract from the herb Rosemary, is a powerful activator of cellular endogenous antioxidants, through involvement in increasing Nrf2 transcription. Since carnosic acid crosses the blood-brain barrier, there is significant provisioning of protection of the brain and neural tissue.(1) In addition, the retina is primarily neural tissue, which benefits greatly from carnosic acid.
RETINA - MITIGATING AGING EYE DETERIORATION
CARTILAGE - BENEFICIAL EFFECTS FOR OSTEOARTHRITIS
VISION VITALITY™ (with CARNOSIC ACID)
(1) Rezaie T, et al. Protective effect of carnosic acid, a pro-electrophilic compound, in models of oxidative stress and light-induced retinal degeneration. Invest, Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 2012 Nov
(2) Contin MA, et al. Light pollution: the possible consequences of excessive illumination on retina. Eye (Lond). 2016 Feb
(3) Wong P, et al, Enhancing the efficacy of AREDS antioxidants in light-induced retinal degeneration. Mol Vis. 2017 Oct
(4) Kang K, et al. Carnosic acid slows photoreceptor degeneration in the Pde6b(rd10) mouse model of retinitis pigmentosa. Sci Rep. 2016 Mar
(5) Albalawi A, et al. Protective effect of carnosic acid against acrylamide-induced toxicity in RPE cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017 Oct
(6) Albalawi A, et al. Carnosic acid attenuates acrylamide-induced retinal toxicity in zebrafish embryos. Exp Eye Res. 2018 Oct;
(6) Ishitobi H, et al. Carnosic acid attenuates cartilage degeneration through induction of heme oxygenase-1 in human articular chondrocytes.
(7) Ravaili S, et al. Recently highlighted nutraceuticals for preventive management of osteoarthritis. World J Orthop. 2018 Nov
(8) Schwager J, et al. Carnosol and Related Substances Modulate Chemokine and Cytokine Production in Macrophages and Chondrocytes. Molecules. 2016 Apr